At Healthy Food Strategies, we connect research, policy, and practice to address health disparities and promote healthy and sustainable food systems.
We specialize in program development and evaluation; needs assessments; policy analysis, lobbying, and advocacy; technical assistance; and communicating results.
See recent research and advocacy:
Health Care Without Harm, with support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, conducted a three-year study investigating hospital community benefit practices to address food insecurity and support healthy and sustainable food systems. The initiative resulted in the comprehensive online suite of resources, the “Delivering Community Benefit: Healthy Food Playbook,” the in-depth research report “Community Benefit and Healthy Food: A National Assessment,” and numerous webinars, conferences, and other events to promote promising practices in this arena. Healthy Food Strategies’s Susan Bridle-Fitzpatrick was the project lead, developing resources that support hospitals and community partners to implement initiatives that increase access to healthy, affordable, and sustainably produced food in their communities while promoting economic development and health equity.
CONTENT AREA EXPERTISE:
- Proven interventions to increase affordable, convenient access to healthy food, promote healthy eating, and reduce risk of diet-related health conditions
- Public and institutional policies to promote healthy and sustainable food systems
- Challenges and opportunities in agricultural development to achieve food security and food systems sustainability objectives
- Quantitative and qualitative research design
- Data collection and analysis
- Program evaluation
- Community health assessments
- Communicate results with both academics and practitioners
COLLABORATION & COALITION BUILDING:
- Work with diverse stakeholders, synthesize distinct priorities to achieve common goals
PROJECT & PROGRAM MANAGEMENT:
- Initiate and manage projects and programs that aim to improve community food environments, dietary patterns, and related health outcomes
- Program design, budget management, fundraising, goal setting, team management, evaluation, and promotion/outreach
WRITING & EDITING:
- Writing and editing policy-relevant articles, reports, books, and other communications for diverse audiences
- Conference presentations for academic and professional audiences, including plenary addresses
- Organize convenings, webinars, and panels to educate, inspire, and promote best practices